2013 Steeplechase at Callaway Gardens
The Steeplechase at Callaway Gardens will host its 29th Running on November 2, 2013.
Steeplechase is a competitive sporting event that provides spectators an opportunity to watch the thrills, smarts and athletic ability of Thoroughbred race horses as they jump over 52” high hurdles at premium speeds. Thoroughbreds, almost all of them converted from flat racing, compete in 12 states at some 36 National Steeplechase Association (NSA) stops both in the spring and fall of every year. They have lineages proven with official Jockey Club registration papers, and are ridden by the top steeplechase jockeys in the nation.
The Steeplechase at Callaway Gardens has been one of these meets for the past 28 years. Mason Lampton, Race Chairman, was the visionary who combined his love of steeplechasing with the community’s needs. “Our mission has always been to support the arts in the community, using the steeplechase as a vehicle to do so,” says Mason. He continues, “This has proven to be a positive experience for everyone, both in the area of adding an additional sporting event which is entertaining for anyone at any age, as well as allowing us to contribute more than $3,000,000 to the Arts in the region."
The 2-3/8 mile course near Callaway Gardens has been cited as one of the most beautiful in the United States. The 200 acre site is cradled in hardwoods and statuesque Georgia pines with rolling hills overlooking Pine Mountain Ridge. The scenery is punctuated with striking colors of the changing leaves. It is a wonderful setting for a day in the country.
2012 was another successful year and allowed us to distribute $150,000 to our 5 beneficiaries: The Columbus Museum, The Columbus Symphony Orchestra, The Historic Columbus Foundation, The Springer Opera House and The Ida Cason Callaway Foundation. An additional partnership with the Auburn Veterinary College of Medicine is made possible through the proceeds.
2013 Race Director:
Carroll K. Pound is this year’s Race Director and Laura S. Wickham is Operations Chairman. It promises to be another great year for our race.
This year’s total purse for The Steeplechase at Callaway is $160,000. “It is extremely important to keep our purse at the upper level,” says Mason, “…so you have quality horses who put on a quality show. It ensures your race has the best trainers and riders so our patrons are watching the best of the best in steeplechasing. After all, without the horses, there is no steeplechase!”
Thanks to the generosity and long-standing support of Aflac, The Steeplechase at Callaway Gardens continues the tradition of the Aflac U.S. Supreme Hurdle Novice Series Race with a total purse of $50,000 for this race alone. “The Steeplechase at Callaway Gardens is a high-energy, premiere event. What it has done for the arts in our region is tremendous, and Aflac is truly proud of its long association with this pre-eminent landmark in steeplechase racing,” says Kathelen Amos, President, Aflac Foundation.
Another great, faithful benefactor, Don Leebern, III, with Georgia Crown, also enthusiastically embraces our Race with their sponsorship of the Crown Royal Sport of Queens Stakes. This race is for fillies and mares and carries a purse of $40,000. “We are honored to be able to support an event of this quality in our community,” says Don Leebern, III. “It has always been a great day for me; enjoying family and friends, as well as watching the Thoroughbreds compete.”
• There are a total of Seven Races (Five sanctioned by the National Steeplechase Association).
• Gates Open at 10 a.m.
• Race A: Maxine Strupe Perpetual Pony Race, Race at 12 p.m. Purse: $200.
• First Race: WC Bradley Maiden Timber, Race at 1 p.m. Purse: $10,000.
• Second Race: The Suntrust Highweight Hurdle, Race at 1:30 p.m. Purse: $15,000.
• Third Race: Aflac Championship Supreme Hurdle, Race at 2 p.m. Purse: $50,000.
• Fourth Race: Crown Royal Sport of Queens Stakes, Race at 2:30 p.m. Purse: $40,000.
• Fifth Race: CB &T Maiden Hurdle, Race at 3 p.m. Purse: $25,000.
• The post-race celebration held in the Horseshoes Tent for box holders begins immediately following the last race.
Race Day Activities:
A sample of our tentative race day schedule is posted on our website. The 2013 Race Schedule will be posted in September. Here are some highlights:
• Stick Pony Races for kids ages 10 & under.
• The Ride 106.9 Tailgate Competition.
• Ledger Enquirer “Best Box” Competition.
• Southern Views Hat Contest- Winning categories are: “Most Whimsical,” “Most Beautiful,” and “Best Children’s Hat.” As part of this event, there will be a Parade of Hats that will include all the contestants.
• Race Arcade - houses the works of regional artists and retail vendors.
• Horseshoes Tent is an upscale lunching and entertaining area for all those in the Terrace seating. It includes lunch with wine from W.J. Deutsch Distributing. Feel free to bring your own beverages as well. TVs will be showing ballgames throughout the day for your viewing pleasure. Lunch and wine will be served 11:30 a.m. until 1:30 p.m. Space is limited so buy your ticket early.
• Jack Russell Terrier Races will have three separate heats. Come early as they will run at 11:30 a.m., 12:15 p.m. and 12:45 p.m.
• The Taste of the Chase will again have Country’s Barbeque, along with other concessions in the Infield offering lemonade, ice cream and funnel cakes.
From Columbus take I-185 to Exit #30 at Hopewell Church Road. Drive east eight miles to State Road #18. Turn right on State Road #18. Turn right on Nelson Road and follow the signs.
From Atlanta take I-85 south. Take Exit #21 at I-185. Take Exit #34 at State Road #18. Drive east five miles to Nelson Road and follow the signs.
From Montgomery take I-85 north. Take Exit #21 at I-185. Take Exit #34 at State Road #18. Drive east five miles to Nelson Road and follow the signs.
Ticket pricing ranges from $25 per person and up. Box seats range from $325 for six to $500 for six. Tent packages begin at $800 for six and are available for entertaining larger families or corporate guests by calling the Steeplechase Office. Reserved Rail Packages in the Infield are $270 for six. Single tickets or ticket packages are available for purchase online at www.steeplechaseatcallaway.org. If you would like to arrange your purchase with our staff please call 706.324.6252.
For ticket or sponsorship information, please call Executive Director, Kim Jinks at 706.324.6252 or email: email@example.com.