Each year, the Steeplechase at Callaway hosts an Art Contest, open to all school age children in our area. In addition to displaying their art work in our gorgeous Columbus Museum, there are cash prizes awarded at a reception held at the Museum. The evening is a rewarding and fulfilling experience that is a tangible example of the effect the Arts have on the children in our community. For many of these children, it is a once in a lifetime experience that will follow them, and you, for years to come.
The primary purpose of the Steeplechase at Callaway is to benefit the Arts. Because of the success of this event, over 3.8 million dollars have been given to support The Columbus Museum, The Historic Columbus Foundation, The Springer Opera House, The Columbus Symphony, The RiverCenter for the Performing Arts and The Ida Cason Callaway Foundation.
Steeplechase is delighted to invite your students to participate in the Steeplechase Art Contest. The contest is open to all local students.
Winning artwork will be displayed at The Columbus Museum from October 1st through October 25th.
An award ceremony and reception will be held on Tuesday, October 25th at the museum to celebrate the award recipients. The ceremony will begin at 5:30, but students and guests are encouraged to come at 5 to view the artwork.
Grade K-2 and Grades 3-5– Artwork should be no larger than 12×18 (excluding mat).
Grades 6-12 – no size restriction
Three Dimensional Work– either relief sculpture suitable for hanging or free standing sculpture, no larger than 12” W x 12”D x 24”H
2. All entries must be matted, but NOT framed. Please submit work that is ready to hang.
3. Each entry must have: the student’s name, grade, and school on back. This information should not appear anywhere on the front of the work. Please make sure the information is on the back of the painting before delivery.
4. A horse or some part of a horse MUST be included in the piece of artwork.
5. DEADLINE for entries: Friday, September 23rd at 5:00pm at the Columbus Museum. Judging will take place on Thursday, September 29th. Please enter each piece on the sign-up sheet attached.
6. Each school may submit no more than 3 entries per category per category per grade level.
7. All entries not selected for the show may be picked up at the museum on October 3rd and 4th. Winning pieces that are selected to be displayed may be picked up from the museum following the reception on October 25th. All artwork MUST be picked up by Saturday, October 29th.